“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
I know that you’re here to pick the best riding lawn mower for hills. Whether you own a small or large lawn, it is required to clean them regularly. That’s why a riding lawn mower is a must-have machine. On the other hand, a push mower needs immense physical stamina for a long time working under the sun or tough weather. The riding lawn mower not only saves your time but also requires less effort.
It is good to have the best riding lawn mower rather than a push mower to get the job done without much effort.
Best small riding lawn mower – Husqvarna Z254 54 In. 26 HP Kohler Hydrostatic.
Best riding mower for small yard – ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52.
Top 10 best riding lawn mowers for hills 2021
There are a lot of advantages to riding mower than hand mower. As you know, the riding lawnmower is powered by an engine and doesn’t need additional force to run. Furthermore, it would be required to drive the lawnmower to cut the grasses, but it is much easier than push mowers.
It is a suitable machine for cutting a large yard of grasses, and the bigger deck is the reason for that.
It is required to spend a handsome amount of money while buying a mower. There are a lot of facts to be considered while getting a riding lawnmower. Such as horsepower, seat, engine, battery, deck size, and other stuff related to best mower for hills. But don’t worry, the gobeasts team is here to solve this problem. On behalf of the team, I’m representing this to you. I’ve tested more than twenty riding lawn mowers on the hills as well as steep terrain and come up with a list of the top 10 best riding lawn mowers for hills. End of the article, there is an ultimate buying for best riding lawn mowers for the money.
The Best Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills Reviews 2021
1. Troy-Bilt Pony 42X 42 -Inch – Best riding lawn mower for steep hills
- Brand: Troy-Bilt.
- Power Source: Gas Powered.
- Item Dimensions: 70 x 48 x 35.5 inches.
- Item Weight: 485 Pounds.
- Engine: 420cc.
- Deck: 42 inches with dual blades.
- Warranty: 2-year limited warranty
- Fuel tank: 3 gallons.
- 7-speed transmission.
- Including oil filter.
- Mulch and side discharge.
- Steel front axle.
- Comfortable mid-back seat.
- OCR mow in reverse.
- It comes with a comparatively lower price tag.
- It’s small in size but suitable for a large lawn.
- It can make a quick movement.
- It has a comfortable seat.
- It allows for precision performance.
- And it requires less maintenance.
- I could not find anything.
If you’re looking for the best riding lawn mowers for steep hills, then Troy-Bilt Pony 42X is the best option. That’s why it took the 1st position in this review. It’s not only well stable on the hill but also mow the grass perfectly.
This riding lawn mower comes with a 7-speed transmission, which is required for different terrain surfaces. Having various speed options allows you to mow the bumpy hills.
This lawnmower is made from solid steel that allows maximum stability on the hills. It is well designed for highly steep slopes and can go up to 9km/hr.
Basically, the Troy-Bilt focuses on building small size lawnmower, and this isn’t different. Why does the smallest riding lawn mower matter? Well, it allows users to move easily.
Besides, there is a comfortable high back seat and three gallons fuel tank.
2. Husqvarna Z254 54 in. 26 HP Kohler Hydrostatic – Premium Pick:
- Brand: Husqvarna.
- Item Dimensions: 72 x 61.49 x 34.48 inches.
- Deck: 54 inches.
- Engine: 26 HP Kohler.
- Mileage: 6.5MPH.
- Made from: Heavy flat-stock steel.
- It has proven performance.
- Cutting-edge design.
- It is the most reliable and powerful machine.
- Perfect for professional and heavy-duty.
- It requires less maintenance during the transmission.
- It’s a little bit louder.
- It doesn’t come with a mulching kit.
- It contains a high price tag.
If you’re looking for a professional riding lawn mower that delivers high performance and powerful enough, then this is the best one to select. It gives the fast and smooth cutting through 54 inches steel cutting deck. The 26 HP Kohler engine is the reason for heavy-duty. Additionally, it comes with air filtration, cooling fan, valves, etc. On the other hand, you would be required to buy a mulching kit and bagger attachment separately.
By the way, it is a zero-turn transmission lawnmower that is maintenance-free. However, there is a central operating system on the right-hand side, which is convenient to control.
If you want a riding lawn mower for long-lasting, I must say it is the best machine.
3. Craftsman T225 19 HP – Best gas powered lawn mower:
- Brand: Craftsman.
- Deck: 46 inches.
- Engine: 19, HP.
- Deck wash.
- Mow in reverse.
- Cast Iron front axle.
- Hydrostatic foot pedal transmission.
- Made in USA.
- 2 Years limited warranty.
- It has a supportive high back seat.
- Compact cutting-edge design.
- It is a powerful engine that can mow a large yard.
- Perfect for a larger yard.
- Sorry, nothing found.
If you’re looking for the best gas powered lawn mower that starts quickly and can handle a larger yard, then this machine is perfect. It comes with a powerful Briggs and Stratton gas engine. The ready start technology is the reason for an efficient start. However, it 46 inches cutting deck with wash reduces the cleaning time and effort.
The adjustable foot hydrostatic transmission can give you smooth driving. Even the craftsman added mow-in-reverse technology for quick and easy maneuver in tough spots.
It also features a supportive high back seat for comfortable driving.
However, the 15 inches front and 20 inches rear wheels make sure that it is long-lasting, maneuvering, better clearance, and high performance.
If you’re looking for the best riding lawn mower under 2000 dollars, I must say it isn’t easy to find something with this tight budget. But it is a good amount to get the best riding lawn mower under $3000.
However, I would recommend this machine if you’re looking to get the best riding lawn mower under 3000 dollars.
4. ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52″ – best zero turn mower.
Benefits + Features:
- Engine 23 HP/726cc
- 52-Inch fabricated cutting deck.
- The body is made from solid steel.
- High-backed padded seat.
- Included all necessary accessories.
- 3-year limited warranty.
- It’s ideal for a large yard.
- Comfortable driving.
- Very convenient to use.
- 23 HP engine powerful enough for hills.
- Not Returnable.
- The price tag is a little bit high.
If you have enough budget on investing best zero turn lawn mower, this machine is way more ideal. The 23 HP engine makes it even more powerful and mows efficiently. The bigger size cutting deck can mow large areas with the incredible maneuver. It features 52 inches cutting deck made from 10 gauge steel.
Additionally, it features a high back seat for comfortable riding. As its heavy-duty machine, it allows you to mow for a long time.
However, if you own a huge lawn with steep slopes, I must recommend this machine. On the other hand, it also suitable for commercial uses.
5. Ryobi RY48111 38 inches – best heavy duty lawn mower
Benefits + Features:
- Brand: Ryobi.
- Power Source: Corded Electric.
- Item Weight: 595 Pounds.
- Pump type: Manual.
- 38-Inch two blades cutting deck.
- 3 Brushless motors.
- Solid steel body.
- LED headlights.
- Superior motor power delivers high performance.
- It comes with the necessary accessories.
- It can mow two and a half acres at once.
- The battery lasts 2.5 hours.
- It’s tranquil.
- Not a perfect for small yard.
If you’re expecting an ultra-quiet riding lawn mower for hills, then this model will fulfill your needs. As it’s a battery-powered lawnmower, that’s why it produces less sound, which is only 70 dB. However, it is easy to maneuver on steep slopes.
This eco-friendly riding lawn mower comes with 38 inches of two blades cutting deck that delivers a sharp edge. Besides, the 3 brushless motors ensure optimal performance.
As mentioned earlier, it is battery powered lawn mower that comes with a 100Ah lead-acid battery. You can charge the battery with a 120-volt standard outlet. This machine allows you to work even low light weather as it features 3 LED headlights.
6. Troy-Bilt Mustang – Best Riding lawn mower for rough terrain.
- Engine: 452cc
- EZT hydrostatic transmission.
- Zero-turn maneuverability.
- 34″ – cutting deck.
- High back seat with springs.
- It’s a perfect mower for a large yard.
- It can cut rough grass easily.
- It’s a durable machine.
- Heavy-duty frame.
If you’re looking to buy the best self propelled lawn mower for hills, then this is an incredible one to get. The Troy-Bilt is well known for manufacturing heavy-duty machines for eight decades. The Troy-Bilt Mustang zero turn riding lawn mower isn’t different. It comes with 34 inches extra wide side discharge cutting deck that ensures smooth cutting. The 452cc engine is powerful compared to other machines in this review list.
Some key features to consider while having this riding lawn mower:
- Comfortable Padded Seat: As always, it comes with a high back comfortable seat. In fact, in this addition, Troy-Bilt added dual suspension springs for smooth riding.
- Durable Wheels: It features four heavy-duty high rear wheels for solid mowing.
- Lap Bar Steering: This feature allows the user to mow the yard quickly and saves time & effort.
- Efficient Cutting Deck: As mentioned above, 34 inches deck is suitable for cutting tough grass.
However, this riding lawn mower could be your good partner in mowing your yard.
Why should you have a Riding lawn mower?
I’m going to clean your confusions; why should you use a riding lawnmower. Among numerous benefits, I’m just highlighting key points that usually people think about it.
Can Mow Big properties.
Basically, a riding lawn mower is well known as heavy-duty and can cut the large yard grass. If you own a big area and need the perfect mower, then this is an ideal machine. As mentioned earlier, it has a big deck to cut bigger areas. However, it helps you cut the grass quickly and saves your time & money. This feature is an important factor to have a riding lawnmower.
Less Physical Effort
Traditional mower requires to push to run the machine, but an engine powers a riding lawnmower. Then what you need to do? Well, you’ve to drive the mower, and it will do the rest of the work. On the contrary, a push mower is completely depending on the human force to clean the yard. In terms of physical attachment, a riding lawn mower is way more advanced.
Save Time & Work Fast
The riding lawn mowers not only reduce time but also work fast while cutting the grasses. It requires less time to complete a large lawn since it works fast and conveniently. On the other hand, push mowers need a huge time to clean even a small yard.
Easy to Work
There is no difference between driving a car and a riding lawnmower. Even it is comparatively easy to drive than a car.
Is the riding Lawn mower safe for hills?
I’ve broken down some factors on a riding lawn mower for hills. Are they safe enough for hills or dangerous? Here you go!
Durability of Mower
It’s required to stable on the hills or steep terrain surface to cut the grass. A riding lawn mower for the hill is designed for a 45-55 degree vertical angle. So make sure that it meets the machine’s steep terrain and stays stable on the hills. If it is stable on the surface of the hills, then you may use it confidently.
Steepness of Hill
The hill riding lawnmowers are specially designed for hills or steep terrain, so it is most recommended to use them only rather than regular lawn mowers. As mentioned above, if your lawnmower can stay vertically on the hills, then only you can use them. Otherwise, it will fall or cause accidents.
In order to get high performance and proper stability, you have to follow a particular direction. I mean, you have to drive upside and downside pattern. Parallel riding isn’t good practice on the hills, and cross driving is prohibited. These both make the lawn mower unstable and could collapse badly.
Best Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills – Buying Guide
Yard Size & conditions
Before making any purchase, you should examine your lawn or yard first. Because there are a lot of options for the different lawn. It would be best if you make sure the lawn size. Does it require lawnmowers that specially designed for steep or straight hills? However, it is advisable to aware of your yard thoroughly.
The powerful engine creates more torque that allows the user to mow smoothly. Even it is essential to have a high cc engine for climbing steep hills. Basically, climbing against gravity requires more force than moving downward. So, you need to check lawn mower engine power before making a decision. On the other hand, a powerful engine is more durable than a regular engine.
The weight plays an important role in hill lawnmower: the more weight, the more stable. But overweight makes it difficult while moving in a small yard. On the other hand, if the lawnmower becomes so bulky, it required high propel to mow. So make sure that your chosen lawn mower comes with a well balanced in strength and weight.
Usually, riding lawn mower comes in a different size, such as small, medium, and large. If you have a small lawn, it is wise to buy the best small lawn mower, but a larger yard requires a big-sized mower. In fact, a small lawnmower is easy to move. By the way, large lawn mowers come with a high price tag, but they have numerous advantages like they can cut a large amount of grass compared to a small one.
Comfort and Safety
Most probably, riding mowers are less safe than push lawnmowers. That’s why it is required to have all the safety features before riding. But don’t worry, the manufacturers are solving this problem. Usually, hill riding lawn mower comes with a high back seat with a belt for safety and smooth riding. So, it would be great to check the mowers’ seats before buying.
Usually, all the riding lawn mowers come with a minimum of 2 years limited warranty. But some machines don’t offer a warranty. Before selecting any mower check, it’s all features, including this.
As you know, a riding lawn mower is more expensive than push mowers. Usually, they cost between $2000 to $6000. Basically, price depends on the engine, horsepower, weight, mileage, cutting deck, stability, etc. So, make sure that you’re getting the best lawn mower for the money.
Safety Tips While Riding Hill Lawn Mowers
- As mentioned earlier, in order to avoid an unexpected accident, you’re requested to drive lawn mowers only downward to upward or upward to downward directions. Usually, parallel driving is the reason for falling off.
- I don’t recommend you to drive downward to upward because you can’t move easily. Even sometimes, it causes an accident while driving down to upward.
- Driving a lawnmower on the concrete road or solid surfaces can make miserable fail while cutting blades are on. So, it’s the most important thing to remember when you’re off the yard.
- A riding lawn mower requires regular maintenance for the best performance. It will help if you have to clean them after every usage and store them in a safe garage.
- These machines are weighty and need to operate by an adult person, making sure that it is out of the kid’s area. It’s not strange that kids can also start a riding lawn mower since they are automatic.
- Never forget to keep keys with you since they could be lost or cause unexpected incidents.
- Before mowing your lawn, you’re requested to remove rubbish, including trees, rocks, garbage, and other objects, to avoid blade damages.
- You should have all the personal safety equipment, including goggles, sunglasses, hand gloves, work pants, boots, etc.
- You should always keep the mower net and clean for long-lasting.
- Before riding a lawnmower, you should have learned how to drive a mower.
FAQ related Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills
1. Is riding a lawn mower suitable for hills?
Before giving you a short answer, I just want you to clarify why riding a lawn mower is needed for steep or hills. Riding mowers don’t require physical effort since they are powered by gas, battery, or oil. On the other hand, push mowers are tough to push in the steeps or hills areas, and they require huge physical stamina and time. So, in terms of hill lawn, there is no options rather than a riding lawn mower.
2. How to maintain Riding mowers?
Basically, lawn mowers require cleaning after every usage since they always get dirty by muddy or grass. Usually, mowers are water-resistant, and you can clean them by pressure washer.
3. Why are riding mowers more expensive?
The riding lawn mower comes with a complete engine that is expensive compared to push mowers. The engine is more powerful and done the job within a short time. Even it can climb steep hills. These are the main reasons for a high price tag.
4. Are zero turn mowers good on hills?
Yes, they are good enough for hills, but you need to make sure that they are steeped slopes proof.
5. What is the best riding lawn mower for rough terrain?
Zero turn radius (ZTR) mowers are suitable for tough terrain.
Final Verdict & recommendation:
I’ve assembled the top 10 best riding mowers for hills that are ready to mower your lawn. All of them have unique features, and you may select from them. These are not only durable but also cost-effective. So, you would need to choose from the above list according to your needs.
I’ve recommended not only regular riding lawn mowers but also professional.
Hopefully, none of them will disappoint you.